Cafe Nero is a coffee shop in the campus area. After observations, we saw that the cardboard coffee cups and holders create a huge amount of disposal. In order to decrease the amount it was not enough only to recycle them, there could be any other solution which results in less consumption of these instead of recycling. It would be solved with the usage of mugs and thermos bottles. Originally the company has a policy such as when someone buys a cup of beverage, they put a sign on the card and when there is 9 of them they were giving one beverage free to the customer. We developed a project with them to decrease the consumption of cardboard cups. When someone buys a coffee with her mug, then they put 2 signs to the ard they give. Also, it creates a change in behavior such as having mugs with themand using to put other drinks in it like coffee.
- Aluminum cans are the #1 recycled item. Because of this, they make up less than 1% of waste in the U.S.
- Glass bottles take 4,000 years to decompose.
- Glass never wears out — it can be recycled forever.
- One person uses two pine trees’ worth of paper products each year.
- Today, 62 million newspapers will be printed in the U.S., and 44 million will be thrown away. That means the equivalent of about 500,000 trees will be dumped into landfills this week.