We provided students with printing manuals at the major printing locations explaining how to print double-sided and how to print multiple slides on one page.
Another big proportion of waste of Koç University comes from paper. Although paper is recyclable, it generates CO2 emissions and water usage to recycling paper. Moreover, ink is not recyclable and poisonous to living creatures. In the old system, students were charged on a number of sides of paper. In other words, students had to pay the same amount of money whether they print single sided or double sided. In order to create awareness, we managed to change the system to favor double-sided printers. In the current system, single sided prints are charged 0.07TL while double-sided prints are charged only 0.10TL. Moreover, we provided students with printing manuals at the major printing locations explaining how to print double-sided and how to print multiple slides on one page. We are estimating a major decrease in the amount of paper and ink usage in the following months. We will share our finding of report results in the following months.
-The embodied carbon of constructing an average UK house is equivalent to driving around the earth over 10 times
– 23 new steps have been added to Mexico City’s Angel of Independence. Over-abstraction of ground water has caused the city to sink 9 m in the last 100 years
– 1 ton of CO2e is enough to power a UK light bulb for 10 years. In France, it’s enough for over 50 years
– Even in the UK climate solar PV panels normally pay back their embodied carbon within 4 years
– Our name Circular Ecology was influenced by the fields of ‘circular economy’ and ‘industrial ecology’
– Transporting goods by a rigid road truck is over 70 times more carbon intensive than bulk shipping
– Disposable batteries produce 50 times less energy than the embodied energy of production